Rigorous governance, empathy with organisational aims, support to the board as a team, ambassadorship.
- Chair of Finance Committee and Governor, CityLit
- Chair of mySociety ltd and Trustee of its parent’s charity UK Citizens Online Democracy
- Independent Chair, Improvement and Development Board for Town and Parish Councils.
Portfolio Growth Areas:
- Commercial organisations engaging with public sector/local government
- Social enterprises or public-sector spin outs who need someone who can bring commercial rigour but “get” the public sector history
- Public sector organisations that require professional non-exec input (eg NHS Trusts, Housing Associations, NDPBs, Agencies)
- Programme boards, audit committees or other governance boards that would benefit from independent external perspective.
- 18 years successful experience of being a non-exec
- A large commercially innovative college
- A BBSRC Research Institute
- A high growth community charity
- A turnaround job on a small arts charity
- Understand commercial disciplines (Senior roles in NatWest, Veredus and Capita)
- Experience: OD, HR, Search, Finance, Audit & Risk
- Know how the public sector works, especially local public services
- Deeply “get” the difference between non-exec and exec roles, the importance and the tools of board governance.